The county's Archives maintains approximately 6,000 cubic feet of records, dating from 1680 to the present. The Archives are the official repository of publications produced by county government. Records are stored according to professional archival standards in a temperature- and humidity-controlled environment in acid-free boxes and folders.
A professional staff includes three trained archivists, as well as a micrographics and scanning supervisor and several support staff. Approximately 24 volunteers and student interns, working under the direction of a volunteer coordinator, assist in processing collections and in serving the public in the reading room.
The archives staff facilitates workshops to instruct teachers and librarians in the use of government documents in the classroom and for public information, and has published a 75-page "Guide to the Collections," as well as a recent pamphlet on doing genealogical research.
A conservation and microfilming program of the archives' maps, photographs, administrative and court records has been in effect since 1990. One of the most important projects in the archives is the scanning of all new maps to meet demands for both preservation and access. In addition, the scanning unit assists in archiving all land records filed in the county clerk’s office, scans important historical documents for Finance and Human Resources and handles discrete one-time preservation projects, such as the imaging of all the personnel cards. In 2003, 585,685 high-speed scans were produced, 13,447 images were produced by the state-of-the-art Zeutschel planetary scanner and 1,592 Ozalid copies of maps were made.